A HARBOUR Dr building block was evacuated early this morning after a fire gutted a third floor unit.

NSW Fire and Rescue crews received the call at 2.20am and arrived at the scene about 2.30am.

According to a NSW Fire and Rescue Media spokesman, the unit was well alight by the time two crews from Coffs Harbour and one from Sawtell arrived.

He said the unit was severely damaged despite crews getting the blaze under control "quickly".

The spokesman said crews were "blacking out" the fire at 2.45am.

It is understood the fire was caused by an unattended candle.

Police attended the scene and helped evacuate about 50 residents from the building.

NSW Ambulance paramedics were also at the scene.


Paramedics called after car crashes into tree

Premium Content Paramedics called after car crashes into tree

Emergency services are at the scene of a car crash on the Northern Rivers.

‘Massive Monday’ as trans-Tasman bubble opens

Premium Content ‘Massive Monday’ as trans-Tasman bubble opens

New Zealand flights begin as trans-Tasman travel bubble opens

DON'T MISS IT: Activate your free bonus for big rewards

Premium Content DON'T MISS IT: Activate your free bonus for big rewards

How you could win a share in $500k