WITH winter upon us, there is a new danger to wildlife for homeowners to be aware of.
WIRES Northern Rivers has posted on Facebook about a recent call for advice they received.
A possum had taken up residence in a chimney and the homeowners weren't sure how to persuade it to leave.
The fireplace is their main source of heat during the winter so they were also keen to avoid injuring the little marsupial.
"As the weather turns quite cool in our region, you may find that certain creatures will attempt to find space somewhere inside your residence," WIRES Northern Rivers said on their Facebook page.
"Roof spaces and chimneys are popular but wildlife will find any sheltered spot if there is access.
"The best action to take is prevention.
"Install wire mesh on your chimney and to block off other entry points to keep animals out.
"Be sure to thoroughly check first so that you are not inadvertently trapping a creature inside.
"For possums, illuminate the space continuously for up to three days with a portable light; possums will go elsewhere to sleep.
"Habitat loss is a primary cause of animals seeking shelter in our homes.
"You can easily provide an alternative home for animals by making or purchasing a wildlife box.
"Place the new home close by in a suitable tree.
"Remember they will need shade, as a box heats up quickly in the sun.
"The box will need to be at least three metres from the ground to ensure predators cannot reach it."
Wildlife box designs can be found on http://www.wiresnr.org/Possumhome.htm.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.