MELBOURNE City and Sydney FC could swoop for star attacker James Troisi, whose Melbourne Victory future remains in limbo.
City and Sydney FC have marquee positions opening up next season, and both are understood to have discussed the prospect of Troisi joining them next season.
Bruno Fornaroli is the only City marquee player signed for next season with Argentine Nicolas Colazo only signing a one-year deal.
Sydney FC's marquee players Bobo and Filip Holosko are out of contract in May, although the Sky Blues would have to elevate star attacker Milos Ninkovic to marquee wages if they are to keep him.
Troisi, who played a key role in the Socceroos' 2-0 win over United Arab Emirates on Tuesday, signed a one-year deal with the Victory inside the salary cap.
His agent Frank Trimboli has spoken with Victory and rival A-League clubs about Troisi's future and he is keen to sign a multi-year deal after playing for four clubs in three years.
Interested parties have also been told that Troisi, 28, would only consider marquee wages. He is believed to be earning about $350,000 this season.
It is expected the Victory will offer Troisi a marquee deal now that midfielder Oliver Bozanic has been released, though nothing is yet in the pipeline.
City and Sydney FC refused to comment on the Troisi speculation, with Sydney FC chief executive Tony Pignata declaring that the Sky Blues were focused on winning the title.
"We won't discuss player contract negotiations or potential signings at this time of the season," Pignata said.
Troisi, speaking during Socceroos camp last week, admitted he wanted to stay but had not yet been offered anything.
"I could say I want to stay at Victory but if I don't get offered that (marquee) position it might not be possible," Troisi said.
"I haven't heard anything yet. They have the power to do that now, so I guess we'll wait and see how they approach it."
Speaking last week, Muscat revealed that Victory were working on tabling an offer for Troisi, who's scored seven goals and made six assists in all competitions this season.
"There's a lot of difficulties. We'll do what we can and the objective is to come to an agreement," Muscat said.
"Do we want him to stay? Of course we do. It's not as easy as that, I won't be making comment on this again. I'll respect people's privacy. Rest assured we'll try and retain him.
"He's been superb and I'm really pleased for him. Speaking to him 18 months, two years ago, getting himself to where he is now has been a lot of hard work for him. He's been superb and it's deserved."
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.