Claims death cap mushrooms caused hospitalisations

DEATH cap mushrooms are being blamed for hospitalising three Canberra residents, prompting an alert from the Australian Capital Territory's chief health officer.

The three are now in a stable condition Calvary Hospital. They told authorities they bought the potentially deadly mushrooms from a Woolworths supermarket on April 17.

In the warning, Dr Paul Kelly said it so far appeared to be an isolated incident.

There have been no other recent reports of death cap mushroom poisoning in the ACT, he said.

The alert also reminded people not to pick and eat wild mushrooms.

"It can be extremely difficult for even experienced collectors to distinguish death cap mushrooms from other edible mushrooms," Dr Kelly said.


10+ ways to spend school holidays on the Northern Rivers

Premium Content 10+ ways to spend school holidays on the Northern Rivers

From food festivals to acting classes and movie marathons, there’s no reason to...

‘Glorious’ hidden shipwreck resurfaces

‘Glorious’ hidden shipwreck resurfaces

A 128-year-old shipwreck emerged in a northern NSW town this week causing a flurry...

Man dies after being pulled from water near Byron Bay

Premium Content Man dies after being pulled from water near Byron Bay

Emergency crews were called to two separate drowning incidents in NSW on the...