9 measures allowing rebuilding efforts to continue
BUILDERS and tradespeople repairing and rebuilding on behalf of insurers will continue their work under current COVID-19 essential services rules through new measures that protect workers and property owners.
The Insurance Council of Australia (ICA) welcomed the release of worksite guidelines by the Housing Industry Association, which commits workers to making space to minimise exposure to COVID-19.
ICA Head of Communications Campbell Fuller said builders and contractors who are working for insurers are able to perform their professional tasks under the current COVID-19 rules by observing nine HIA-developed guidelines.
“These guidelines are supported by the insurance industry, and most insurers are making them a requirement of any insurance work.
“They require good communication with the property owner and all workers, along with constant awareness and vigilance.
“This will provide greater peace of mind to householders and other property owners who need to have builders in or around their premises during the pandemic.
“Observing these guidelines will ensure insurers and their contractors can continue to help the community where buildings are damaged and repairs are required.
“This is especially important in hundreds of communities that have felt the impact of bushfires, hailstorms, floods and storms during the 2019-2020 summer of natural disasters, which have resulted in more than $4.6 billion in claims.”
The nine guidelines are:
- Applying social distancing measures on worksites
- Meeting government self-isolation rules on and off worksites
- Keeping the property owner informed of all COVID-19 prevention measures including site management plans
- Isolating construction areas from non-building areas
- Managing project schedules to reduce the number of trades on site at the same time
- Ensuring workers have access to appropriate personal protection equipment
- Ensuring workers have access to appropriate hygiene and safety facilities
- Encouraging contactless payments and deliveries, and travelling off peak
- Organising site inductions and updates on the latest government requirements.
The full HIA guidelines are available at the HIA website.