Nick Kyrgios cops 8-week ban from ATP

Nick Kyrgios is unlikely play again in 2016.
Nick Kyrgios is unlikely play again in 2016. Kamran Jebreili

AUSTRALIAN tennis bad boy Nick Kyrgios has again sought to apologise for his controversial performance at last week's Shanghai Masters which has seen him booted off the tour for the rest of the year.

The 21-year-old has become the first elite player to be suspended for behavioural issues since American John McEnroe in 1987.

Following an ATP World Tour investigation, Kyrgios has been handed an eight-week suspension and a $32,900 fine

According to reports, the governing body of men's tennis wanted to oust Kyrgios for 12 weeks but relented during negotiations.

Kyrgios' ban could be reduced if he meets certain conditions, including consulting sports psychologists and life coaches, but he won't play again in 2016.

The ban comes after the probe into his bizarre performance in Shanghai, where he appeared to deliberately lose to German battler Mischa Zverev.

"Following the ATP's decision today I would like to take this opportunity to apologise again for the circumstances in Shanghai," he said in a statement.

"The season has been a long one as I battled several injuries and other challenges towards the end of the summer.

"The Asian circuit was particularly tough after the long week and win in Tokyo and with the travel throughout the continent, my body finally just gave out in Shanghai both physically and mentally.

"This is no excuse, and I know very well that I need to apologise to the fans - in Shanghai and in other parts of the world - as well as the tournament organisers in Shanghai who do an amazing job."

ATP executive vice-president for rules and competition Gayle Bradshaw reviewed Kyrgios' controversial antics and ruled the Canberra-raised player had failed to give his "best effort" during a 48-minute 6-3 6-1 shock loss.

Kyrgios also hit out at fans during and after the match, claiming he owed them nothing.

Fined for Spectator Abuse and Unsportsmanlike Behaviour.
Fined for Spectator Abuse and Unsportsmanlike Behaviour.

"I, of course, know how important the fans are to the success of our sport and I personally love the interaction with fans in the many different cities throughout the world on the tennis circuit," he continued in his statement. 

"I am someone who gives a huge amount of time to my fans because I love and value their support.

"Their energy is what motivates me to reach for the top of the game. I regret that my year is ending this way and that I will not have a chance to continue chasing the ATP Finals. 

"This was an important goal for me. I do understand and respect the decision by the ATP and I will use this time off to improve on and off the court.

"I am truly sorry and look forward to returning in 2017."

Officials also confirmed existing fines totalling $21,659 - including $13,127 for lack of effort, $6563 for verbal abuse of a spectator and $1969 for unsportsmanlike conduct.

The ban means Kyrgios will not be able to play the $2.5 million Swiss Indoors in Basel and the $5.4 million BNP Paribas Masters in Paris this month.

He was also a chance to qualify for the season-ending $9.8 million Barclays ATP World Tour Finals in mid-November.

Topics:  atp nick kyrgios tennis

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Byron Shire News Community Calendar

DOUBLE TROUBLE: Byron Bay High School will, for the first time in the school's history have 2 teams qualify for the State Basketball Championships. Both the boys and girls U15s have made it into the final 8 of the NSW CHS competition. The teams will leave next Tuesday for Terrigal and will play November 2 and 3 at the Championships. "The School is extremely proud of the efforts of these two teams, their sportsmanship and conduct has been outstanding and they are great ambassadors for our school,” said Principal Peter King.

This week's Byron Shire News Community Calendar.

An intimate, honest performance with Renee Simone

SHE IS BACK: Miss Renee Simone will play Mullum Music Festival this year.

At Mullum Music Festival next month

Top 5 events at Tropical Fruits 2016

IT'S ON: Tropical Fruits Festival over New Years.

Festival guide hits the streets this weekend

Local Partners

EDITORIAL: Spinning the roulette wheel of politics for fun, fame and profit

I used to think the world was full of a bunch of stuff, some good and some bad, that came at you in no particular order.

The Living End are coming to Byron Bay

The Living End

The Living End are going on the road in 2017 for a regional tour

The Superjesus: Back with Love and Violence

DOWN AGAIN: The Superjesus are Paul Berryman on drums, Sarah McLeod on lead vocals and Stuart Rudd on bass guitar.

The Superjesus are back after 13 years

Jethro Tull is back to Bluesfest

ICONIC: Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull at Bluesfest 2011.

Jethro Tull returns to Bluesfest next April

RECAP: The Bachelorette S2E12 - the finale

Georgia Love pictured in a scene from The Bachelorette finale.

GEORGIA chooses Lee and leaves Matty J heartbroken.

The Bachelorette finale: Georgia declares her love for Lee

Georgia Love with The Bachelorette winner Lee Elliott.

MATTY J left heartbroken in emotional grand final.

An intimate, honest performance with Renee Simone

SHE IS BACK: Miss Renee Simone will play Mullum Music Festival this year.

At Mullum Music Festival next month

Tom Cruise credits success to Scientology

Tom Cruise

Tom Cruise credits his success to Scientology

Hacksaw Ridge leads AACTA Awards nominations

Andrew Garfield and Teresa Palmer in a scene from the movie Hacksaw Ridge.

MEL Gibson's wartime drama opens in cinemas next week.

Top 5 events at Tropical Fruits 2016

IT'S ON: Tropical Fruits Festival over New Years.

Festival guide hits the streets this weekend

Tough times in CBD: Woolies says goodbye Ipswich

Woolworths in the Ipswich Mall.Photo: Rob Williams / The Queensland Times

The last day of trading will be January 1

Look at me! Kath and Kim home up for sale

Kath and Kim from the iconic Aussie TV series.

'Crack open the Baileys and grab a box of BBQ Shapes'

Hinterland horse stud passed in for $8.25 million

UNREAL: This Maleny estate is incredible.

12-bedroom hinterland horse stud still available

Hit songwriter's Noosa mansion on market

SPECIAL PLACE: The Cintamani estate is going to tender, marketed by Tom Offermann Real Estate.

Is this Queensland's best property?

Kiwi siblings snap up Dotcom mansion for $32.5m

The new toy company owners of the Coatesville mansion want replace any controversy with positivity and fun. Photo / Barfoot and Thompson

The trio paid $32.5 million for the property in June

New $200 million development will create 580 jobs

Cassie And Josh with baby Alfie and daughter Andee. They have bought at new Lennox Head development Epiq.

Majority of new positions will be given to Northern Rivers locals